Friday, March 16, 2012

Another First; or, Rejection

Source

I have big news.  Really big.  My writer friends will get this better than some other readers, although I'm sure you can imagine and relate in some way.


I sent out my first ever query letters this week.  (Well, all e-queries, actually, but a body's gotta keep up with the times.)

Also, I got my first ever rejection today.

Normal writers are disheartened, upset, discouraged, etc. by the first rejection.  Not me.

The entire publishing world will tell you that rejections aren't always a bad thing.  Sometimes your writing needs more work, or the agency/publisher can't take on new clients right now, or your genre/word count/writing style isn't a good fit for that agency/publisher.  In my case, two and possibly three of the above apply.  There's also the fact that I know of zero authors who were accepted before they were rejected.  Plus the fact that I was practically expecting to be rejected my first try.  But none of that's the point.

My first official rejection makes me feel like a real, official writer.  No longer am I a wanna-be.  I'm still unpublished and very, very young and inexperienced in this publishing world.  But I'm not standing outside the window, gathering my courage to knock on the door.  No, *I* am now standing in the entryway, just waiting for God to usher me down the hallway that He has prepared for me.

Source

Gosh, I'm excited.  My first rejection.  Since everything's electronic, I may have to print it out.  I want to keep it.  Maybe I'll keep all my rejections in a file folder to admire someday.  Then again, that would use a lot of printer ink...

No comments:

Post a Comment