Sunday, January 12, 2014

Author Interview: Marie Herman

Who or what has had the most influence on you as a writer?
Well, that's a hard one. I guess I'd have to say my values and the love that I have for a good story greatly influenced the way that the first trilogy of mine, The Bandit Trilogy, came/is coming out. Though, for my entire writing career, poetry included, my family has been the major factor of how I am as a writer.

Do you base events or people in your books off of your life, or your friends' and family's lives?
Well, there is the huge antagonist that ends up murdering -- I mean, haha, no. In all reality, I use quirks of people, or tiny fragments of events to incorporate in my novel, but not enough to see, and especially not enough to point the finger at for "tarnishing someone's reputation." That had always been a huge fear of mine, so, I rather not.

What was the biggest obstacle to getting published for the first time, and how did you overcome it?
Now that question right there brings back painful memories of having to re-edit my book after going on sale. Never again, only make that mistake once.

What inspired your book? How did it all start?
A necklace (or was it a bracelet?) that my dad owned started The Bandit Trilogy, which is about a vengeful crime-fighting teenage girl who is trying to find justice for her parents in the middle of the city (more grounded than it sounds, trust me). Yeah, my imagination is a thing of its own.


What is your book about? Target age range?
They are young adult action/adventure novels with a tinge of mystery, and even though the whole concept of of crime-fighting teenage girl is kind of out there, it is actually a very well-grounded book trilogy that has been given good reviews from a multitude of ages groups (from parents to teenagers, the audience does indeed range.)

What is your goal in writing and publishing this book?
My goal? I have multiple goals. One, to make lots of money -- haha, I'm joking, really! What I believe in is this: if I can get just one person's mind change on even one of the topics that is embedded into the novel, then I've accomplished something really special.

Is there anything that you learned during the process of writing and publishing?
To edit. A lot. Ten times more than when you thought you'd finished, because the real editing process has yet to start. It would be a shame for someone to make the same mistake (that I'm still trying to clean up to this day) as I did.

Which are you - panster or plotter?
I plot in my head, but never really write it down. So, plaster?

Are you planning any other books?
YES, once I'm done with The Bandit Trilogy (last book will be out in 2014), I am going to write a more realistic stand-alone novel. It will be a change-up from the style that I've written before, in the sense that if all goes as planned, then it will be following several people instead of one. I can't wait to crack into it!

Who is your favorite character in your book? Why?
It's a tie between Scott and Sam. They are such mysterious characters, one being obviously mysterious to Zoey (the main character), and the other, not so much. Let's just say to watch these characters actions, not so much what Zoey thinks of them, throughout the book. It really foreshadows what's to come.

When you read, what is your favorite genre?
I'm pretty sure it's not considered a genre, but more so a writing technique than anything. I can't get enough of allegories. It's just so interesting how the writing is able to bring forth the brain power to come up with these things, it blows my mind!

Where can readers find you online?
You can find me at:
Twitter: @Marieherman7
 Blog: http://thebanditseries.blogspot.com/
Author page on Facebook and GoodReads: Marie Herman

Thank you so much for being my guest today!

No comments:

Post a Comment