Thursday, March 20, 2014

So, Google Plus Comments...

You know those Google Plus comments? The Blogger comment feature intended to be more interactive? The setting I've been using for several months now?

I hate them.

First of all: for the many, many readers out there whose comments I have not responded to: I am so sorry! Apparently, Google+ Comments doesn't send me emails when I get new comments on my blog posts. In fact, I don't get any notice whatsoever.

Second: on several occasions, to make up for the whole no-email thing, I would drop by the blog myself to check for comments. Unfortunately, the comment box decided more times than not to just eat my comments and send them, invisible, into the black holes of cyberspace. Multiple times. Eventually I would just give up and leave my blog without commenting.

Third: I realize that there are quite a few readers here who don't have Google+ and, therefore, couldn't comment. Considering the second point above, even those of us who do have the right profiles struggle with the comments. I feel your pain.

Fourth: When I decided, a long while back, to get rid of Google+ comments... IT COULD NOT BE DONE. It was my third or fourth attempt (plus a lot of interwebs research and Googling) before I finally figured out how to turn the stupid things off and go back to regular comments. Apparently my having two separate Google accounts (an old one from middle school that I used to use for everything, and the new one I set up for professional/writing/blogging purposes) also makes anything that has to do with Google+ or YouTube that much harder. Arg. (I also really hate that Google+ and YouTube are practically combined, but that's a rant for another day.)

Fifth: To those of you who did manage to comment, and have those comments successfully posted, during my Google+ comments stint... I'm terribly sorry, but all those comments have been deleted. You can't transfer comments to or from the Google+ setting. Which is another reason I am frustrated it took me so long to figure out how to disable them. So many loyal readers, so many lovely comments -- all of them, gone!

Sigh.

Here's to a more peaceful and interactive commenting community in the future of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment