Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Really Cool Animals I've Never Heard Of

This is your chance to glimpse inside my biology book!  Okay, I admit that sounds really lame and unexciting, but these photos are really cool.  Like the title says, they're animals I'd never heard of until I saw them in my bio book.  Internet searches for photos led to more unusual animals, and this post kinda tapers into "World's Smallest Animals."  They're all really cool/cute though.  :)
(Yes, this may partially be my personal attempt to turn off my instinct to fall asleep when reading textbooks.  Next up I might share something interesting from history class.)


Duckbill Platypus.  Okay, I've heard of this one, but it's so cool!



Pangolin (with a baby!)

No, not a striped squirrel.  A numbat!  Aka "banded anteater"



Diatryma.  Actually a digital image.  See skeleton.


Real diatryma, long-time extinct.


Epigaulus, a drawing.
Epigaulus, also extinct.



Lesser mouse-deer, highly endangered.


World's smallest lizard species.


Hyrax.

Bee hummingbird.  Actually, I've not only heard of this, I've had one fly right in front of my face!  In Okinawa, *in my backyard.*  It was awesome.


Fairy penguins, aka blue, little blue, and/or little penguins. World's smallest penguins.


World's smallest snake.

No comments:

Post a Comment