Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Teens Can Write, Too! Blog Chain: A Writer's Worldview

Some of my lovely readers may remember the character interview I posted a while back.  I actually wrote that as part of a blog chain.  Of course, I forgot to link to it!  Well, today I join the July prompt for the same blog chain, and I figure I'd better start with the link: http://teenscanwritetoo.wordpress.com/2012/06/23/july-2012-blog-chain/

This month's prompt: How has writing affected your perception of the world?




My friends say I use big words.

I read the phone book because I like hearing strangers' names and imagining their lives.

I took my sunglasses case out of my purse to make room for a dictionary, a thesaurus, and a rhyming dictionary.

My favorite pillowcase is an old, faded blue thing covered in Sharpie notes, book quotes, and friends' signatures.

I have entire conversations with my friends in my head.

My dreams from the night's sleep generally end up in a never-finished story.

I search stock photo websites for random pretty people to make up lives for.

The personalized Google ads on my laptop range from engagement rings to way-liberal colleges to birth control ads, because I've researched for stories about wedding planners, rebellious college students, and pregnant teenagers.

If I had a gift card to any kind of furniture store whatsoever, I would rearrange my entire room just to fit another bookshelf in here.

25% of the time, "I didn't sleep well last night" translates to "I got lost in a book/my Kindle/an audiobook and didn't go to bed until midnight."

Certain friends and I talk more about rescuing kangaroos from invisible Wal-Marts or breaking a murderer out of prison using the sewer system than we do manicures or homework assignments.

I can't give directions to my own house, but I know what my friend was wearing last time I saw her or the general layout of my church (which is a very large one).

I never set out to base characters off people I know - in fact, I work to avoid it - and, when reading over my rough draft, discover I've written several of my own relationships into the story anyway.

I have a total of one poster in my bedroom, and it's from a book series.

I have no sisters to raid my closet, but my three brothers are always raiding my bookshelf.

Because I have to know my characters well in order to write their stories realistically, I find I understand and relate to people in my own life better as well.

A sunset or cherry blossom tree, or anything else outside that comes within my vision, is in danger of becoming a poem.

I'm worse at photography than most people I know, but I'm so obsessed with the beauty around me that I snap five photos of the same tree branch.  Literally.

I never go to a bookstore alone, because whoever is with me ends up dragging me out so we can leave at a reasonable time.  It wouldn't be fair to the bookstore staff to have to deal with that.

Have any of you seen the movie where a pregnant teenager is abandoned in the middle of nowhere by her boyfriend?  She spent six months living in Wal-Mart by sneaking in right before they closed, hiding in the bathroom, and then sleeping in the camping display.  She'd set a few alarm clocks, get up before any employees came to open the store, and use a shower head from the store shelf to bathe in the bathroom sink.  After returning the shower head and alarm clocks to their shelves, she'd hide in the bathroom until Wal-Mart had been open long enough and leave like a normal shopper.
Let's just say if I'm ever homeless/stranded/abandoned, I'm living in Books-a-Million.
July 10 – Here! :)
July 14– The Zebra Clan
July 20– Teens Can Write Too! (Announcing next month’s chain)

No comments:

Post a Comment