Friday, December 27, 2013

Author Interview: Brian McBride

Tell us a little about yourself first.
First and foremost, I am a Christian. There, now that we have that settled, we can move on. ;) I am seventeen years old (almost eighteen!) and I write mostly fantasy, but a little bit of dystopian and sci-fi. I published my debut young-adult novel in June of 2013 and am working on many more ideas. I am a musician; I play the piano (10 years), the drums (5 years), and the bass guitar (2 years). I LOVE – as in, I’m obsessed with – iced tea. Like, seriously, I have to have it EVERYDAY. I am currently unemployed and searching for a job. Right now, my only source of income is from my book, Paradox, and the drum lessons I provide to a member of my church.

How long have you been writing? 
Since I was about 11, I believe. I started with short stories and poems. Then it grew into my first novel, which I realized had little potential. Now, it is permanently shelved, but I can’t say I’ll ever forget it.


Who or what has had the most influence on you as a writer?
I think my biggest influence as a writer would have to be C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. I always strive to make my writing as good as theirs.

What was the biggest obstacle to getting published for the first time, and how did you overcome it?
The biggest obstacle, for me, was time and money. I was so busy with school and work, and the package I chose with Outskirts Press was quite spendy. But I got there! And now my novel is available on online retailers such as Amazon and B&N! I’m working on getting it in stores too.

What keeps you motivated?
Music and reading. Plus, the prodding of fellow writers and readers keeps me motivated most of the time.

Are there any books you wish you'd written?
Oh, definitely! I wish I’d had the idea for The Hunger Games trilogy. I also would have loved to have written the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

What inspired your book?
How did it all start? Honestly, I’m not really sure. I think it was a flicker, a spark, and a whim. Then through much thought it grew into my own personal “Narnia”, an escape from reality.

What was your favorite book or author as a teen? What's your favorite now?
As a teen, my favorite book was The Dragonkeeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul. Now, it’s Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes.

What is your book about? Target age range?
Paradox is about destiny and hope. Four teens stumble through a portal and into a strange new world known as Paragon. They discover that they are the descendants of an extraordinary race, Starcrafters, and that Paragon’s only hope of salvation from the Dark Prince rests squarely on the shoulders of the young, rebellious Starcrafters. My target age range is probably 13 – 20. You can purchase Paradox here.

Are you planning any other books?
Most definitely!

If you could only share one piece of advice with aspiring authors, what would it be?
Stick with it. Don’t give up. There will be times when you feel like you’re writing nothing but dirt, but always remember that among your story’s rough points, there will be gold. Just hold on to the gold and keep pushing through the grime. Oh, and save the editing for after you’ve finished the first draft.

And finally, some extras: where can we find you online?
You can find me on Facebook, Goodreads, and my blog.

Thank you so much for being my guest today!
Thank you! It’s been an honor!

No comments:

Post a Comment