Monday, December 16, 2013

Author Interview: Sam Graber

Tell us a little about yourself first.
Well I’m a homeschool graduate and a college student. I’ve been writing off and on since I was around 7 or so, but I wasn’t really serious about it until about a year and a half ago. Recently I’ve been working on a project that I hope to make my debut novel. On the side I work part time as a software developer.

What is your book about? Target age range?
Korina of Two Worlds (KOTW) is about a girl who must choose between the land where she was born and the land where she was raised. Though she was born a human, she was brought to be raised among a blue skinned people called the lithus. Trained to protect, she is given a mission to act as a secret bodyguard to a noblewoman in the kingdom where she was born.
The target age range is between 18 and 25, though I hope it will prove enjoyable for adults as well.


What inspired your book?  How did it all start?
For a long time I’d been having trouble with main characters that felt flat. I always had trouble with making my main character ‘human’, because I was trying to make them be heroic. For KOTW, I decided I would try to break out of it by writing a female protagonist, and taking time to develop a strong character for her. The rest just fell into place around her.


What is your writing process? Do you write regularly at certain times or just when inspiration hits?
I’m busy enough that I pretty much write when I find the time. When I have the time to devote during the day that usually tends to be my best time. I usually prefer to be alone when I write, so I’m not as productive on the weekends when there’s more stuff going on.

What keeps you motivated?
Whenever I write a good scene, it motivates me. I think it’s those scenes that inspire me to keep going when the scenes aren’t flowing quite so well. I tend to be a fairly dedicated writer as well, so that helps.

Are you a plotter or a pantser?
I’m very much a plotter. Sometimes I’ve found that if I don’t have a clear idea of what’s going on in a scene, I get stuck figuring out how it should work. Of course, other times the story just flows and it doesn’t seem to matter as much.

What genres have you written?
I’ve written both Sci-Fi and Fantasy, but I prefer fantasy.

What was your favorite book or author as a teen? What's your favorite now?
When I was in my early teens, I was a huge fan of G.A. Henty. My favorite was St. George For England, a story about the 100 Years War. I loved reading about the incredible battles of Crecy and Poitiers. Now my favorite book is The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson. It’s a fantasy novel of truly epic proportions.

Do you have any hobbies? What do you like to do in your free time?
I like to create musical arrangements and sheet music for songs that I listen to. One of the projects that I had a lot of fun with was making sheet music for some of the music of Leah K. Oxendine (a fellow writer). She has some pretty amazing music, and it was a lot of fun to work with.

Do you have any advice or resources you'd like to share for other writers?
Be patient. In order to write a good book, you have to be willing to take each scene as it comes and do a good job with it.

And finally, some extras: where can I find you online?  
You can find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/authorsamgraber
I’ve also blogged on occasion at www.yawritersalumni.blogspot.com

Thank you so much for being my guest today!
Thanks for having me.

No comments:

Post a Comment