Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Night Of Christmas {guest post}


Today my good friend Anna has come to share some thoughts about Christmas with us.

It's Christmas Eve. I have a question to propose to you.

What do YOU think about at this time of year?

It's December, and everyone is thinking about one thing: Christmas. But what about Christmas are you thinking about?

The gifts?
The decorations?
The music?
Spending time with family and friends?

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with those things. There isn't. But I've been thinking recently. There are a couple of songs that come to my mind, and really make me think. Both are Christmas songs, and I'd like to share them with you.

The first one is called “I Wonder as I Wander,” by John Jacob Niles. Perhaps you've heard it.

“I wonder as I wander out under the sky,
How Jesus the Savior did come for to die.
For poor on'ry people like you and like I...
I wonder as I wander out under the sky.
When Mary birthed Jesus 'twas in a cow's stall,
With wise men and farmers and shepherds and all.
But high from God's heaven a star's light did fall,
And the promise of ages it then did recall.
If Jesus had wanted for any wee thing,
A star in the sky, or a bird on the wing,
Or all of God's angels in heav'n for to sing,
He surely could have it, 'cause he was the King.”

The second one is by Steve and Annie Chapman. It's called “The Stable.” I don't know the exact words to it, but the chorus goes like this...

Still there's a message in the place where Christ was born,
Spoken in the kindest way.
Our hearts are like that stable.
They're dark, and cold, and unclean.
And though they are unworthy,
They are chosen for the presence of the king.

I'm not sure if that is the exact phrasing, but it is as close I as I can get. Especially since I am unable to locate the lyrics online. But the song really makes you think.

The stable that Jesus was born in was a cave. Made of rocks. Not at all what we imagine, or what we see in all the nativity scenes. It was dark. Cold. Dirty. Just like the song says.

Our hearts, before Jesus lives in them, are that way. And yet, He chooses to make His home there. And make them clean. Worthy of Him. He came to earth so that we, however unworthy, could receive God's greatest gift ever: eternal life.

What a thing to think about.

“And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.” Luke 2:10-11 ~ The angel's words to the shepherds.

“And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.” Mark 9:35 ~ Just a thought to think about...

Anna is a high school homeschoolee and a good friend of mine.  We met through my P.O. Box Club, and she participated and supported me from day one through the day we ended the club.  I want to thank her for being an amazing friend despite having yet to meet in person, and for being a wonderful listening ear.  So thank you, Anna.  Y'all can visit her blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment